Wednesday, 20 May 2015

Anton's Math Autobiography


Anton's Math Autobiography

My first math memory was when I was doing simple math problems in year one on Studyladder, with my teacher. I usually enjoy maths because I find number and word problems interesting. I really like learning new skills to help me with my maths. I like to compare strategies with Mum to look at how maths teaching has changed.

I get bored in maths when I am being told how to do things that I have already been taught in previous years, even if it's revision. My strengths in maths are:
  • Being able to show people how to work out problems in maths at their own level to help them understand easier
  • Being able to work out problems in my head without too much trouble
  • Using different strategies to solve problems faster
  • Working the problems out quickly
A math teacher I remember was back in year three and her name was Mrs Robertson. Mrs R was a helpful teacher because she taught me my first set of strategies to work out multiplication and division. I like to show Mum how to work things out: for example division, fractions to decimals, and multiplying decimals.

I've always enjoyed numbers and have been encouraged by Mum to keep going and to try different strategies if something is not working. I would like to one day become a nurse, and I would need to use maths all the time. In nursing you need to work out dosages of medicine by weight of patient and to make sure you can give them the right amount, for example, in a 24 hour period.

If I were on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and I needed a lifeline for a maths question, I would call Mr Jeftha because he has helped me develop my strengths in mathematics by explaining new strategies in ways that I can understand, and because he has a passion for teaching and learning mathematics.

I learn best by developing strategies for working out math problems and then showing Mum how to use the strategies. This helps to make it stick in my mind, so that I can remember for future use.

Overall I really enjoy maths and learning how to work things out, and applying it to everyday situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment